15 March 2009

The only reason I think I'll give Watchmen an A- is...

...that they had to make the action scenes, you know, very action-y. This undermines the central point of the comic book - that these are normal people who, for their own confusing psychosexual or militia-minded reasons, derive enjoyment from dressing up in costumes and fighting crime. By having them snap people's arms in two and do all sorts of super hero-y stuff, it sort of dilutes the point that Doc Manhattan is the only person with real superpowers.

BUT - having said all that - I second Das Binky's review. In a series of conversations with people, I've more or less said something like, "Here's what I would quibble with...[list of minor grievances]...but, having said all that, if you wannt hop on the metro and go to the Uptown right now, I'll totally watch it again."

Rorschach and The Comedian are every bit as good as they are in the book. And they pulled off the Doc Manhattan/Mars thing in a way that was basically frame-by-frame, line-by-line from the book, but it didn't feel canned or stunted. I was a happy, happy camper.

No comments: