01 May 2012

Making the world safe for people with challenging tastes who occasionally like non-challenging fare

Here’s a theory: a lot of people watch “How I Met Your Mother.” However, no one talks about watching “How I Met Your Mother” (which is a surprisingly satisfying as a sitcom, in a very conventional way), so no one knows if it’s ok to like “How I Met Your Mother.” Sure, I’m eager to discuss “Community” and “Game of Thrones” with people, but “How I Met Your Mother”? Not so much. And I’d love to talk about some aspects of the show – like how everyone on it is fairly likable, except for the main character – but I can’t, because no one talks about it.  This is a strange conspiracy of silence. We were all confused when, in the hubbub about Charlie Sheen, several media outlets claimed that “Two and a Half Men” was somehow a widely watched show – come on, the only way that’s true is if you count international markets (seriously, everyone in Brazil watches it) and airplane passengers who are technically asleep but whose screens are still on.

 

But “How I Met Your Mother”? When I take the trouble of asking, it turns out that a lot of people watch it. So, I’m here to tell you, it’s ok to talk about “How I Met Your Mother.” But if someone walks by, and you suddenly switch to “Community,” I won’t judge you.  

2 comments:

John Das Binky said...

I am vaguely aware that there is a show called How I Met Your Mother, and that many actors I like are involved. But misplaced snobbery seems to prevent me from watching any network sitcoms other than 30 Rock. Not for any good reason.

But your description reminds me of my general impression of shows like Walker Texas Ranger or Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman. Shows I was aware existed, but later found out had been on for like 10 years and were hugely popular, while I'd sort of relegated them to the same part of my brain that only vaguely registers that Mark Trail is still in the comics.

Newmanium Reveler said...

The "safe" shows are 30 Rock, Community, Parks and Rec, and to a lesser extent, Modern Family. At least those are the shows I hear people quoting or doing bits from, or posting to FB about. And, like I said, HIMYM is 100% conventional in that predictable sitcommy way, but it's like a good pop song or something. Sure, I may feel like I should do the walk of shame the day after, but I do enjoy it. I'm not sure the snobbery is misplaced, exactly, but...at the very least, you should watch "Community," which outfunnies 30 Rock by a wide margin in terms of writing and ability-to-pull-off-gag-episodes.