23 November 2008

Re-evaluating my season tickets

Having Wizards season tickets this year is like a bizarre from of punishment. It's excruciating and, of course, self-inflicted.

It's not so much the financial commitment - our beer guy Ron sees to it that I don't have to pay the usual $7 for a draft ale. And we usually eat cheaply beforehand or we save money elsewhere and make a night out of going to games. It's really the time commitment that's driving me nuts. 41 games? I can't imagine what it's like to have basbeall season tickets, where you talking 81 total, and where the games are much longer.

I love having an excuse to go down to the Penn Quarter a couple of times a week. I love going to the library beforehand, or eating a sandwich outside the National Portrait Gallery on an unseasonably warm day, and I even love taking the 42 back to the 'hood after the game is over. But the time commitment is significant. Even when I'm well behaved, I'm out till at least 10, if not later. Then you get home and the mail isn't sorted, the cats aren't fed, you have to change and think about the next day but you're still sort of wound up, and next thing you know, a Tuesday night game is setting you back on Wednesday morning.

And it's especially infuriating with a team this bad. Bad isn't the right word, because they're talented, and this is certainly similar to the team which overperformed last year. So I guess it's not surprising that we're seeing some statistical corrections, but man does it hurt. And there's not much that can be done, unfortunately. Fire Eddie Joran? That won't accomplish much. He's one of the longest-tenured guys in the league, so it would be a "statement," but would it make the team any better? Probably not. Trade someone? Well, anyone we'd want to part with is not going to draw any interest from other teams (that's right, Andray, no one wants your sorry-ass.) So, what's there to do?

I literally groan every time I realize we have a game. It feels ten times worse than being told by your parents to clean your room, because in this case, you've actually signed up to clean your room 41 times between now and April, voluntarily.

We probably weren't going to renew next season anyway, for a number of reasons, but this certainly makes it easier.

3 comments:

Newmanium Reveler said...

Update: Eddie Jordan fired this morning.

John Das Binky said...

Wow. Thanks to overscheduling, I don't think I spend 41 nights with my family during basketball season. That's commitment.
(That's not to imply I'm watching baseketball during that time period... as a short, fat man, I gravitate towards football.)

On the plus side, now you get to say you stayed with the team through the lean years, right?

Newmanium Reveler said...

Yeah, but it means that they'll be good the minute I decide not to renew for next season. just watch!