20 April 2009

Unfixables?

Why, sometimes, will one of my feet not go where I tell it to? I intend to walk in a straight line, but every, say, fifth step is clearly not quite in the same continuum. This only happens every now and then, but it makes me wonder just how well I’ve figured out this whole “walking” thing.

When drinking a liquid, and it goes down the wrong way…of all the ways to ingest food/nutrients, drinking is the one we have practiced the most. Why do we still get it wrong?

We all rely on umbrellas, but they really don’t keep you dry below the waist. Our faith in them seems childish.

Our brains probably never stop working, and they process more information than any other device known to humans. But when asked, we usually say that “not much” has been up recently, even when we are eager for a conversation or a connection.
Leonard Cohen is 75, and he sounds happier about it and more at peace with it than anyone else on the planet is about anything else. I don’t want this fixed, by the way. I think it’s wonderful that it’s unfixable.

In spring, when the temperature hits 70 F for the first time, people take to the streets in what constitutes beach wear. In the fall, when the temperature finally drops to 70, people take out jackets and scarves. But both temperatures are identical.

I’m having a conversation over a meal. I know I want to say something. But I get flustered formulating the thoughts, and take a huge bite instead. Now, the natural pause in the conversation happens just as I’ve shoveled three bites’ worth of food into my mouth. I indicate through facial expressions and hand gestures that I have something to say and that I want to keep the subject going, but of course, I need 20 seconds to quickly chew the absurd amount of food. Three minutes later, I will do the exact same thing again.

Not enough people listen to Elvis Perkins. This one is very fixable though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfixable: enthusiastically poring over Bon Appetit while eating a microwavable Lean Cuisine.