02 June 2009

Rhode Island and Providence Plantations!

First of all, did you know that is the real name of the state? I think I did, but then I forgot about it.

 

In my macroecon class the other night, the professor made a point of saying that 49 out of the 50 U.S. states had a legal requirement – either in the form of an amendment to the state constitution or via popular vote/referendum – for a balanced budget. Right before class let out, I asked what state didn’t have such a requirement. “Rhode Island,” came the answer.

 

I turned to my chatty tablemate, and raised my eyebrows.

 

“Wow,” he said. “That was the least interesting answer he could have given.”

 

Indeed, it was. On a walk to the metro, he pointed out that people from Rhode Island are really from a plantation, which is sort of amusing. And then we agreed that there was really nothing to say about this tiny non-island state that is, confusingly enough, named after an island.

 

No comments: