08 September 2008

Food, morals, questions

I often think about what I’m going to eat, or what I’ve just eaten, or what I may eat several days from now if there’s a restaurant I’m particularly looking forward to visiting, and over the past few years, we’ve tried to adopt a more locally-based diet, for all the usual reasons. John’s post really gets me to thinking about the broad spectrum of different concerns that I rarely contemplate. Namely, eating meat – something which I don’t do often, but when I do eat meat, I certainly don’t exercise any particular zeal to ascertain the origin of that meat and, in fact, I am thrilled when I find a whole chicken at Harris Teeter for under $6, though I’m sure this is a “chicken” churned out by some vast sprawling industrial chickenarium somewhere.

And yes, this is partly because I was freaked the eff out by Jerome Groopman’s article about MRSA, aka, drug-resistant bacteria.

Read if you’re into paranoia, and kiss that bottle of Purell’s hand sanitizer goodbye (except for truly dire circumstances, I believe.)

PS. John, I meant to ask for permission to link, but since you're an assiduous readers, there's a good chance you'll be the first to see this anyway - let me know if you want it taken down!

4 comments:

John Das Binky said...

Link away. Glad you found the post interesting.

Personal conclusions aside, the more interesting part of the whole journey has been THINKING about food rather than just consuming it. That mindset shift alone has been a cool exploration.

Jordan Hirsch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jordan Hirsch said...

Sorry, previous comment was riddled w/typos. Here goes again:

About a year ago (late September 2007) I read a vegetarian pamphlet that detailed the unholy abuses that animals undergo in so-called "factory farms." I had already read Fast Food Nation and swore off McShittyChains, but I also ordered burgers and chickens and whatnot all over town at restaurants and thought nothing of it. This pamphlet changed my mind.

It didn't turn me into a vegetarian, but I decided on the spot to swear off factory-farmed meat. Some things have happened as a result:

1) I feel better about the meat I eat knowing that an animal wasn't tortured prior to my eating it.

2) I get to embarrass myself all over town by asking waiters where their meat comes from. The answer is typically "I have no idea."

3) I have discovered the absolutely fantastic meat available at the local farmer's market and at South Mountain Creamery, where I buy super-tasty meat and grill it to perfection with about no work at all.

4) There are approximately 2 places in town I can eat a meat-based meal without going high-end. Thankfully, Chipotle is on that list (all their DC locations source their meat from sustainable farms).

That last one is a bummer, as I miss the casual hamburger quite a bit. Fortunately, Reef's delicious buffalo burger makes the cut.

Sometimes I go "off the list," either due to hunger or just because some places are worth it to me (i.e. The Palm, Ben's Chili Bowl). But more often than not, I check out the Eat Well Guide before I try a new place.

And then I eat the f**k out of some sustainable meat.

Newmanium Reveler said...

I just envy both of you for taking any measures (even if you both repeatedly point to the fact that you make exceptions as some kind of indicator of imperfection.)

J, thanks for the site - I actually spent quite a bit of time on it.

Speaking of non-sustainable habits, I did some damage to the planet's supply of viable marine life at the new Sushi Ko today. And, uh, I wish I could say I feel more conflicted about it than I do. At least right now. When Zoidberg's people show up and we are left without achovies, I will rue my imprudence...