30 September 2008

Why I can’t wait for Blindness

1. I loved “La Peste” and Saramago has proven himself to be equal parts Bulgakov, Tolstory, and Camus. This one is like “Children of Men” but it doesn’t sell itself short at the end. It just hits you again, and leaves you to wonder what horrible aspects of the human animal have been rendered visible by contagious blindness. It promises to be bleak, and utterly terrifying.

2. I’ve had this thing for Julianne Moore and her character is pretty central. Andbeyond Ms. Moore, the cast is pretty much entirely composed of actors that I enjoy - Mark Ruffalo, Alice Braga, Gael Garcia Bernal. Solid.

3. Fernando Meireles.

4. Back to Saramago – his narrative voice is one of the more compelling and original voices I’ve come across in a while. It’s cinematic, for sure, but also familiar, confident, and long-winded in a reassuring way. I’m betting this doesn’t translate well, but god do I hope they try to capture. Just attempting to capture makes for an exhilarating motion picture to me, regardless of whether the outcome is successful or not.

Having said all that, what's the over-under on me actually making it to the movies to see this?

Official site.

No comments: