19 May 2008

Back in the saddle. Unfortch.

A few observations, being back at work:

-My timing is off. I’m either too fast or too slow – too overwhelmingly present or barely there. I’m clearly overburdening some people and barely thinking of others.

-I don’t really have a new perspective on anything.

-When I drove during my hiatus, I made it a point to drive in the conservative manner that you’re supposed to in order to save gas. So, if there’s a light I know I never make, I would cruise toward it in neutral rather than hurrying to get there. Where I know there are downhills, neutral again, and coasting for as long as possible on the momentum generated. I accelerated slowly and rarely drove above 55 (even on the highway.) The result, based on one tank, is a bump in my city MPG from the 31-32 range all the way up to 36. Meaning an extra 40 miles out of one tank. This seems like a good thing, with the added bonus of taking some of the edge off the bellicose mentality of commuting by car. I only drive to work once, maybe twice a week anyway, but I keep noticing how it seems that half the people on the road drive as if they’re prepared for battle, and while I always wanted to somehow be above it, I feel like driving in a more eco-friendly way is finally the great cover I needed to act all oblivious to it.

-I had my first Tom Collins – actually a Hendrick’s Cucumber Collins, and it seemed dangerously tasty.

-Do they call it Amish Friendship Bread because you have to keep working on it like you do a friendship? Or is it because friendship comes in vanilla, chocolate, and banana flavors, and because friendships stay moist and fresh for ten days at a time? If so, Amish friendships are stranger than advertised.

-More so than any other dish, roasting a chicken makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something, or done something the way it ought to be done. It satisfies the part of me that likes it when things are done the right way.

-Shooting in the neighborhood.

-This has Indiana Jones completely wrong. I I think I’ll write more on the topic later..

No comments: