15 July 2008

Haberdash notes

Goodbye, navy blue. You are a terrible color. Even though you clash with black, people look at me like I’M the rube when I match you with brown. I just don’t have the energy to keep fighting this battle, I’m afraid. Plus, you’re so close to black that I grabbed a pair of socks in you last week thinking they were black. It looked GREAT alongside my black suit. I had to spend the entire day in fear of crossing my legs and exposing the fact that I was wearing socks that clashed with my suit.

Moving on: my waist size has changed a bit recently – mostly because I’ve been able to stick with running and, well, also because I’m a male and my metabolism finds any excuse it can to turbocharge itself. I cinched my pants tight for a few months, but finally got sick of it and decided that I would keep my new waist and that I needed some pants to go with it. No problem – so I go and buy pants in the same length, but two sizes smaller around the waist. Except…that…I’m taller now? All my new pants are too short. What the hell gives? If it’s true, as Ms. Citizen claims, that my ass is slowly disappearing, shouldn't the pants be a bit too long? Is there any explanation for this phenomenon, other than the obvious and highly unlikely tricenarian growth spurt?

And finally: undershirts. Or the underwear-shirt, as my father calls it. For years, I resisted. I thought undershirts to be the provenance of yankees and colonialists. Humans sweat! Why hide it? …except that suddenly, summers became very complicated. I would arrive at work dripping in sweat. And when I one day tried an undershirt on, I discovered that somehow it actually kept me cooler. I felt tidier. And from that moment on, I was sold on wearing an undershirt whenever the temperature is above 80 F or so. It still puzzles me to see men in the office or on the metro who wear undershirts every day, even in the winter, but I guess for some it's just easier to have year-round undershirt policy rather than a seasonal one.

But I recently made a not insignificant switch in the world of undershirts. I bought some of these. And it’s safe to say that for a split second, when I take my dress shirt off and stand there in the tank top, I feel like an off-duty cop or a sleazy low-grade mobster. I rub my temples, imagine I have a holster under one arm. I want to say things like, "Ferchrissake, Ginny, you have no idea what it's like out there! I'm putting my life on the line. Every. single. day." And so on. It's so cool.

Why did we let the average crankhead on "Cops" co-opt this great fashion statement? While I’m not ready to wear one of these outside the house, let me tell you - it’s the only item of clothing that I own that can make me feel, for a split second, tougher than I really am. And in that department, a guy like me needs all the help he can get...

1 comment:

Jordan Hirsch said...

I too have finally succumbed to wearing undershirts in the summer, after years of wondering why my male friends did so. I couldn't understand wearing something I associated with "formal" dress underneath a t-shirt.

Finally I got tired of sweat (and far worse, deodorant) stains on all my t-shirt underarms, and I gave in. I've never looked back - yes the extra layer makes me slightly warmer, but it's a tiny price to pay for not destroying all my t-shirts every summer.

However...I cannot understand the appeal or the purpose of the cop undershirt (I note you've omitted its more colorful nickname). Your armpits are left completely exposed! If I designed an undershirt it would be all armpit - the inverse of the cop undershirt. Without armpit coverage, what's the point?