29 July 2008

I've got the next million-dollar restaurant concept right here

Enough upscale burger joints. Give me an upscale bagel shop. The independent neighborhood bagel shop is almost a relic – I shudder to think of what will happen if Whatsa Bagels goes under. A combination of low-carb diet fads and encroaching chains that sell fake bagels (I’m looking at you, Einstein and Panera) are probably responsible, but maybe it has to do with the awful hours and terrible boiling smell of bagel-making that the employees have to endure. In any case, consider this my plea: we’re over the low-carb thing. It’s a recession – people want to go out for affordable, comfort food (or at least that’s what the upscale burger places would have you believe.)

Accordingly, I give you a few items that would be featured prominently on the menu of the upscale bagel shop of my dreams:
-Pork tenderloin sandwich on a cornbread bagel; cilantro/red pepper cream cheese
-Miso-glazed salmon on a wasabi bagel; lemongrass-basil cream cheese
-Lamb rogan josh on a curry bagel; raita cream cheese

And so on. I don’t know anything about the specifics of bagel-making or cream-cheese-flavoring, but if it’s possible to make a blue blueberry bagel, how hard can it be to make a wasabi bagel? Or a cornbread bagel?

Someone, get on this pronto. And then give me credit for the idea.

No comments: