09 July 2008

Sigh. Cars, pedestrians, cyclists and our little corner of sectarian strife.

I had a long-winded piece yesterday that I came very close to posting but held back on for some reason. And I’m relieved that I did - it was basically critical of cyclists as being uniquely insensitive to pedestrians. When I wrote it, I didn’t yet know about this news, which makes my post seem incredibly tacky.

My thoughts are basically that this is a terrifying reminder of what’s at stake every time pedestrians and cyclists take to the streets. There is no shortage of indignant cyclist-bloggers out there, but I can promise that there is also no shortage of indignant pedestrians who feel that picked on by both cyclists and automobilists.

The gist of my post was that there are a few 4-way stops where I have come close to being clipped by bikes a number of times (almost daily, it seems.) Cyclists seem, to me, to want all the benefits accorded to cars but none of the responsibility, while taking just as dim a view of pedestrians as your average Mercury Mountaineer-driving, cell-phone-talking, Virginia-plates-having idiot automobilist.

Now it all seems fairly trivial, especially since this incident took place only a few blocks from Abstract Citizen HQ. I would simply urge everyone of you who read this (all two of you, that is) to exercise as much caution as possible and to try enhance your use of common sense when walking, biking, or driving. The Atlantic had a great article about how traffic safety laws in the U.S. focus on playing to the lowest common imbecilic denominator rather than encouraging common sense, and for anyone interest in transit issues, it’s a pretty fascinating read.

I was out for a run yesterday and saw a number of garbage trucks. Ms. Abstract Citizen walks near this intersection on her way to work and noticed it was closed off, with a garbage truck parked in the middle of the street. Like I said, terrifying - to think that I might have trotted past the person driving past a garbage truck that would be responsible for someone’s death a few short hours later.

Since I dabble in all three modes of transportation (though I’m primarily a pedestrian) and since I have friends who belong strictly to one or another group, it might be time for me to strike a conciliatory Obama-ish note here –

Cyclists: you are doing your part to alleviate congestion, but that doesn’t buy you any indulgences. You should really yield to pedestrians wherever cars are also expected to yield. Pedestrians: you are the life blood of any vibrant community as long as you use common sense. Also, it’s your responsibility to look both ways before crossing. Automobilists: imagine that every pedestrian or cyclist is someone you know. Chances are you know someone who is primarily a pedestrian or cyclist – remember them the next time you are behind the wheel in a congested area.

No comments: