19 February 2009

Things I wish some characters on “Lost” would say every now and again.

“Wow, that’s a fascinating story! However, I couldn’t help but notice that you actually used it as a diversion to avoid answering my original question, which was a pretty direct one. Can we get back to that?”

“Hey, it sounds like we’re in complete agreement! If you don’t mind, though, can we review our use of personal pronouns? I know they’re a useful shorthand, but I get this nagging feeling that your ‘we’ isn’t the same as my ‘we.’ And your ‘they’ may denote an entirely different set of people than my ‘they’ does!”

“What an odd thing to say! Can you elaborate a bit, please?”

“Oh, this sounds really interesting. Instead of shelving the conversation and picking it up later, at some undetermined point in time, perhaps we could walk and talk? I would hate for something nutty to happen that would prevent you from giving me all the details I need to fully comprehend what you just said.”

“No!! How could you possibly know that? Did you experience this FIRSTHAND? Or is it hearsay?”

“Howdy! What are you doing here? This has to be the most unlikely way for us to meet! How did you get here? What’s happened to you since I last saw you?”

No comments: